New Renewable Energy Option for Residential Customers
No Roof? No Problem.
Interested in going solar but can’t because you rent or your home is too shaded? Now it’s easy to choose 100% locally-generated solar energy.
Austin Energy’s Community Solar program provides access to locally-generated solar energy to our residential customers. When you subscribe to Community Solar, Austin Energy develops or procures solar projects within the Austin community to meet 100% of your electricity needs.
Any residential customer who wants to promote clean, local energy can opt-in (and out) at any time. This includes renters, homeowners with shaded roofs, or anyone who doesn't want to install and maintain a rooftop solar system.
As a Community Solar subscriber, you:
- Contribute to creating a cleaner environment
- Support Green Texas jobs
- Take a leadership role in supporting the Austin Energy Resource, Generation, and Climate Protection Plan
Community Solar and Your Electric Bill
With the Community Solar program, subscribers no longer pay the seasonally-adjusted Power Supply Adjustment. Instead, they pay a fixed Community Solar rate, which offers more stable utility bills for 15 years.
The Community Solar rate currently adds $10 -$18 to the average subscriber’s monthly energy bill. This increase is based on an average 660 kWh monthly energy usage in the winter and an average 1350 kWh monthly energy usage in the summer.
Eligible City of Austin Customer Assistance Program (CAP) customers can receive a reduced rate for community solar and receive no-cost energy efficiency improvements. Learn more about Community Solar for CAP customers (pdf)
|Traditional Energy||Community Solar|
|Rate on your bill||Power Supply Adjustment (PSA): currently $0.02936/kwh (winter) and $0.03007 (summer)||Community Solar Adjustment (CSA): $0.0427/kwh ($0.0277/kwh for eligible CAP customers)|
|Term of rate||Adjusted seasonally and annually based on market prices||15-year fixed|
|Rate covers these costs||Utility costs associated with regular, blended power supply||Costs associated with procuring locally-generated solar energy|
|How to choose||Automatic, with no other enrollment selection||Must enroll to receive CSA rate for community solar while capacity is available|
How to Subscribe
- Call 512-482-5346 or complete and submit the enrollment form below.
- Austin Energy will enroll you in the Community Solar program and the Community Solar charge will appear on your bill during the next billing cycle.
- Community Solar is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. If Community Solar subscription capacity runs out, customers will be placed on a waiting list and enrolled when more Community Solar becomes available.
We're here to help you go solar!
- Email: Customer Energy Solutions
- Phone: 512-482-5346
- Fax: 512-482-5373