Renovate Your Existing Home
Every Home Can Go Green
Existing homes have many green benefits.
- They are more likely to be close to amenities, so they can save gas and reduce pollution for the community
- They usually have mature trees that provide cooling shade and reduce energy bills
- They are typically made of high-quality, solid materials that have lasted and are likely to last longer than new replacements
Cost-effective improvements to existing homes can help reduce utility bills and enhance comfort without sacrificing beauty.
Start with a Home Energy Audit
To improve energy efficiency, begin with an Energy Audit. Have your home assessed by a home performance testing company so you know what energy improvements are needed.
The energy audit may include:
- An evaluation of insulation and ductwork.
- Testing for duct leakage, correct static pressure, and backdrafting of gas appliances.
- Testing for room-by-room air-flow balancing and air leakage to the outside through the thermal envelope.
See Austin Energy's whole-home approach to energy efficiency
Get Ideas From These Green Resources
- Follow us on Facebook
- Subscribe to our online newsletter to stay up-to-date with our upcoming events
- Telephone: 512-482-5300
- Email: Austin Energy Green Building (AEGB)