Electric Service Planning Application (ESPA)
Identify Your Power Requirements, Obtain a Permit
The Electrical Service Planning Application (ESPA) is needed to obtain your permit and is also used by the design team to determine your power requirements.
By signing the ESPA, Austin Energy signifies that it can provide the load, voltage, and type of infrastructure requested on the ESPA. Customers must provide the necessary infrastructure and follow all NEC codes and the Austin Energy Design Criteria. In addition, customers are required to check back regularly for any updates to the ESPA or Austin Energy Design Criteria to ensure the latest version of each request is submitted.
- Download a free copy of the Austin Energy Design Criteria Manual (pdf)
- Download and complete the ESPA (pdf)
Submit Your Electric Service Requests Online
To better serve our customers, Austin Energy now accepts electric service requests for all projects in the Austin Energy electric service territory through an online submission request. This includes the Electric Service Planning Applications (ESPA).
With this process, Austin Energy can manage requests based on submission date and project complexity and respond to customer requests for information more rapidly.
What To Do
Complete an Intake Request and attach the necessary documents from the What You Will Need section for your request. Be sure that you are the correct and knowledgeable person to submit this information. It is critical that the information is accurate so we can provide the correct infrastructure for your project.
- Get help completing an Intake Request (pdf)
- Learn how to avoid delays during the design intake process (pdf)
What To Expect
After you submit an Intake Request to Austin Energy, you will receive an email confirmation. Austin Energy will then review your request to ensure all required information is complete before assigning your request for review and approval.
What You Will Need
- Apartments — Must provide completed ESPA, current AutoCAD file of approved site plan, riser diagram, and 911 address validation form.
- Commercial — Must provide completed ESPA, current AutoCAD file of approved site plan, riser diagram, and 911 address validation form.
- Multifamily/Mixed Use — Must provide completed ESPA, current AutoCAD file of approved site plan, riser diagram, and 911 address validation form.
- Subdivisions — Must provide completed ESPA, current AutoCAD file of approved site plan and 911 address validation form.
- Downtown Network — Must provide completed ESPA, current AutoCAD file of approved site plan, riser diagram, layouts for UNO or Great Streets, and 911 address validation form.
- Dual Feed — Must provide completed ESPA, current AutoCAD file of approved site plan, riser diagram, and 911 address validation form.
- Relocation/Removal — Provide the address, AE pole number, and brief description of the project needs in the Customer Comments box.
- Streetlights — Provide the address or area and brief description of the project needs in the Customer Comments box.
Note: Austin Energy may request more information as needed.
Have Feedback about Our New Intake Process?
Submit your feedback directly to the ESD Team
Commercial Electrical Permitting Application
In addition to the ESPA, you may also be required to complete a commercial Electric Permitting Application for multi-metered commercial projects. You will need to include the completed form with the Building Plan Review package.
Download the Commercial Electrical Permitting Application (pdf)
If you have questions about our design criteria, purchasing specifications, or construction standards, contact one of our offices of Distribution Engineering listed below.
AE Distribution Standards
Email: AE Distribution Standards
AE Design South - St. Elmo Service Center
4411-B Meinardus Drive (South of 969/MLK/Windsor Rd.)
AE Design North - Kramer Lane Service Center
2412 Kramer Lane, Bldg. C (North of 969/MLK/Windsor Rd.)
AE Network Design - Downtown
4411-B Meinardus Drive
If you are unsure which Design office to contact, view the Austin Energy Service Territory Map (pdf) to determine which office supports your service area.
For payment assistance with the AB+C portal, please visit City of Austin Contractor and Trade Permits.