Streetlights and Nightwatchman Lights
Austin Energy provides streetlight systems within the Austin city limits. We will also provide affordable, maintenance-free Nightwatchman lighting services within the Austin Energy service area.
Our lighting systems balance the demand for lighting and energy efficiency with your needs for safety and security. They are activated automatically by use of a photocell.
Our Distribution Design staff can provide a complete lighting system package that includes design, engineering, installation, and maintenance of all lighting systems.
Austin Energy will conduct a free, onsite evaluation for customers who request more street lighting for their neighborhoods.
If we determine additional street lighting is warranted, we will also identify the best location for maximum illumination and coverage.
Outdoor lighting discourages theft and vandalism, enhances personal safety, and reduces the potential for accidents.
The Austin Police Department Crime Prevention Team recommends the use of outdoor Nightwatchman lights for your property or business.
- Installation — Austin Energy mounts Nightwatchman lighting systems on existing utility poles. Pole-mounted lighting provides uniform illumination and greater coverage than lighting systems mounted on building structures.
- Maintenance — Austin Energy maintains all installed Nightwatchman lighting equipment.
- Cost and Billing — Austin Energy customers will see the monthly Nightwatchman lighting services charge included on your regular City of Austin utility bill.
Submit a request for new or additional lighting.
Be prepared with the following information:
- Location of the area in need of additional lighting
- Pole number (if available)