Other Guides, Specifications, Standards, & Code
Resources to Help You Design Your Electric Facility
Use the following specifications, codes, and technical manuals to help design your electric facility.
Electric Distribution Design Aides
- Preliminary Distribution Design Tables (pdf)
- Transformer Fault Current Tables
- Design Criteria Manual (pdf)
Drawings to Help
Determine Buildable Areas Outside of Austin Energy Clearance Envelopes (pdf)
- Each drawing represents a standard pole size from the top of the pole to the bottom.
- The clearance from the electric lines to ground are dependent on how deep the pole is buried, the line sag, and other variables.
- These drawings indicate a perfect scenario for planning purposes, but actual clearances at each site should be determined before actual implementation.
- Pole sizes may be shown on the pole tag, but may be worn off due to weathering. If you can't find the pole size, contact the Austin Energy team you are working with on your development project.
Electric Metering Specifications and Other Guides
- Meter Sockets Specifications
- Current Transformers
- Meter Hubs
- Customer-Provided Hardware
- Guidelines for Instrument Rated Metering (pdf)
City of Austin Code Library
The City of Austin Code Library is a comprehensive online repository. This contains City Code, criteria manuals for Building, Drainage, Environmental, Fire Protection, Transportation and Utilities, Standards, and Standard Specifications.
Other City of Austin Resources
- Planning and Development Review Department
- City of Austin Technical Criteria Manuals
- City of Austin Utilities Criteria Manual
The Energy Code is a part of Austin's Building Code. The code sets standards for the safety, comfort, and the affordability of new and remodeled houses and commercial buildings.
Austin Energy can help you with energy code questions. We can answer questions concerning minimum standards and offer suggestions for improving buildings with energy saving ideas like:
- Window choice
- Mechanical equipment efficiency ratings
- Air duct construction
If you have questions about our design criteria, purchasing specifications, or construction standards, contact one of our offices of Distribution Engineering listed below.
AE Distribution Standards
Email: AE Distribution Standards
AE Design South - St. Elmo Service Center
4411-B Meinardus Drive (South of 969/MLK/Windsor Rd.)
AE Design North - Kramer Lane Service Center
2412 Kramer Lane, Bldg. C (North of 969/MLK/Windsor Rd.)
AE Network Design - Downtown
4411-B Meinardus Drive
If you are unsure which Design office to contact, view the Austin Energy Service Territory Map (pdf) to determine which office supports your service area.
For payment assistance with the AB+C portal, please visit City of Austin Contractor and Trade Permits.