Why Drive EV?
Ease, Lower Costs, and Environmental Benefits
Why is Electric Greater Than Gas?
Driving electric vehicles is an overall greater experience than traditional combustion engines.
Everything from vehicle performance, to cost savings on fuel and maintenance, and the ease of charging your vehicle at home — along with environmental benefits — make getting around Austin a better experience.
Advantages to Owning and Driving an Electric Vehicle
Ease of Ownership
There is a common misconception that by owning a plug-in electric vehicle, a driver must give up something in order to save money, help the local economy, and be more environmentally friendly. This is not the case at all.
- The operation of a plug-in electric vehicle is a seamless transition from a traditional internal combustion engine vehicle, and is actually an improvement. Plug-in electric vehicles have tremendous performance, an essential element of owning a plug-in electric vehicle that is often overlooked when addressing the benefits.
- EV drivers also have the luxury of refueling at home in a regular wall outlet, as opposed to making special stops at a gas station.
Lower Fuel and Maintenance Costs
Not only is the fuel cost of owning a plug-in electric vehicle much lower than a traditional internal combustion vehicle, but the maintenance costs are significantly lower as well.
- An EV has only a small fraction of the number of moving parts in comparison to an internal combustion engine vehicle. The fewer parts there are in the vehicle, the less that can go wrong with it.
- The only routine maintenance required when owning a plug-in electric vehicle is the occasional tire rotation: no oil changes, transmission fluid, belts and hoses being replaced, for example.
You are doing the environment a favor by driving a plug-in electric vehicle. Plug-in electric vehicles are the only vehicles on the road that will continue to be a cleaner source of transportation as the grid shifts to increased renewable energy sources.
- Austin Energy has aggressive goals for renewable energy, so you can be assured that by driving electric, you will
greatly reduce emissions. How? As the electric grid continues to get cleaner and utilize more renewable energy,
emissions reductions increase when clean renewable energy replaces gasoline and diesel in your car.
- The Plug-In EVerywhere network of public charging stations is also powered by 100% renewable Texas wind energy through Austin Energy's GreenChoice® program.
Incentives and Tax Credits for Electric Vehicles
Incentives and tax credits are available to Plug-In Electric Vehicle buyers. A federal income tax credit of up to $7,500 is available. To learn more, visit the U.S. Department of Energy’s incentive site.
Charging Subscriptions Available
The Austin Energy Plug-In EVerywhere℠ network subscription plan offers unlimited charging for $4.17 per month at over 1,000 Plug-In EVerywhere level 2 charging ports throughout our service area.
Sign up to buy a pre-paid Plug-In EVerywhere subscription
Fast charging is also available for $0.21 per minute, conveniently located near major transit routes for the times you need to charge up and go. If you want to use a public charging port and plan to be away from your vehicle for more than 30 minutes, use a level 2 charger instead of a fast charger.
Find charging stations in the Austin area
Stay Plugged In
- Follow us on Facebook for plug-in electric vehicle news, StEVie the EV-loving T-Rex℠ sightings, and events
- Telephone: 512-494-9400
- Email: Plug-In Austin
- Activate your Plug-In EVerywhere membership