Get Outage Alerts
When The Lights Go Out, Don’t Be In The Dark
When you sign up to receive Outage Alerts text messages from Austin Energy, you will be able to quickly and easily report outages and receive outage status updates using your phone or mobile device. Once you are registered, you can set up your outage alert preferences on City of Austin Utilities Online Customer Care.
Option 1: Use Your Mobile Device to Sign Up
- Text REGISTER (or REG) to 287846 (the numbers
associated with AUSTIN on a phone keypad). Message and data rates may apply.
Para español envíe REG por mensaje de texto a 287846. Se pueden aplicar tarifas de mensajes y datos.
- Enter the phone number associated with your account OR your City of Austin utilities account number when
prompted. If you are texting from the phone number associated with your account, you'll skip this
- Enter your ZIP code.
- Enter Y (entre S en español) to agree to Austin Energy Outage Alert Terms and Conditions.
Option 2: Log In to City of Austin Utilities to Sign Up
You can also register for Outage Alerts by logging in at City of Austin Utilities Online Customer Care and clicking Notifications > Power Outages.
Outage Alerts by email are also available with this method. Emails will only provide information and updates on outages from Austin Energy. Customers will not be able to report outages by email.
We recommend that you add 287846 to your contacts list as Austin Energy Outage Alerts for convenience.
If you have more than five accounts associated with your phone number, call 512-494-9400 to speak to a representative.
What Happens Next?
- If Austin Energy is aware of a power outage at your address, we will proactively text you to let you know when we expect to restore power.
- You can report outages by simply texting OUTAGE to 287846.
- You can get status updates during an outage by texting STAT.
- Text STOP at any time to opt-out of text notifications, PAUSE to stop them for 24 hours, or HELP for other options.
How to Use Outage Alerts
The Outage Alert system recognizes simple text messages like:
- “Register me for outage alerts”
- “My power is out”
- “When will my power be back on?”
You may use also use the following text message codes to communicate with Austin Energy during a power outage:
|Description||English (full)||English (short)||Español|
|Register for Outage Alerts||REGISTER||REG||RGS|
|Report a power outage||OUTAGE||OUT||APAGON|
|Check power restoration status||STATUS||STAT||ESTADO|
|Temporarily stop receiving Outage Alerts||PAUSE||PAU||INTERRUMPIR|
|Resume receiving Outage Alerts||RESUME||RES||CONTINUAR|
|Cancel Outage Alerts||STOP||STOP||ALTO|
|Get help with Outage Alerts||HELP||HELP||AYUDA|
- See how to report outages
- Learn how we restore power
- Know how to stay safe during an outage
- Be prepared for outages before they occur