Why Drive EV?
Ease, Lower Costs, and Environmental Benefits
Why is Electric Greater Than Gas?
Driving electric vehicles is an overall greater experience than traditional combustion engines.
Everything from vehicle performance, to cost savings on fuel and maintenance, and the ease of charging your vehicle at home — along with environmental benefits — make getting around Austin a better experience.
Advantages to Owning and Driving an Electric Vehicle
Ease of Ownership
There is a common misconception that by owning a plug-in electric vehicle, a driver must give up something in order to save money, help the local economy, and be more environmentally friendly. This is not the case at all.
- The operation of a plug-in electric vehicle is a seamless transition from a traditional internal combustion engine vehicle, and is actually an improvement. Plug-in electric vehicles have tremendous performance, an essential element of owning a plug-in electric vehicle that is often overlooked when addressing the benefits.
- EV drivers also have the luxury of refueling at home in a regular wall outlet, as opposed to making special stops at a gas station. See what our customers are saying.
Lower Fuel and Maintenance Costs
Not only is the fuel cost of owning a plug-in electric vehicle much lower than a traditional internal combustion vehicle, but the maintenance costs are significantly lower as well.
- An EV has only a small fraction of the number of moving parts in comparison to an internal combustion engine vehicle. The fewer parts there are in the vehicle, the less that can go wrong with it.
- The only routine maintenance required when owning a plug-in electric vehicle is the occasional tire rotation: no oil changes, transmission fluid, belts and hoses being replaced, for example.
You are doing the environment a favor by driving a plug-in electric vehicle. Plug-in electric vehicles are the only vehicles on the road that will continue to be a cleaner source of transportation as the grid shifts to increased renewable energy sources.
- Austin Energy has aggressive goals for renewable energy, so you can be assured that by driving electric, you will greatly reduce emissions. How? As the electric grid continues to get cleaner and utilize more renewable energy, emissions reductions increase when clean renewable energy replaces gasoline and diesel in your car.
- The Plug-In EVerywhere network of public charging stations is also powered by 100% renewable Texas wind energy through Austin Energy's GreenChoice® program.
Two Types of Electric Vehicles Available To Choose From
You have to drive an EV to fully appreciate the technology. Schedule a test drive at a local dealership to experience EVs for yourself. There are two types of EVs:
- Battery-electric vehicles (BEVs)
- Run off 100% battery power with no gasoline back-up
- Have a range of 75 to over 200 miles
- Are perfect for 90% of Austin area commuters
- Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs)
- Have electric motors and onboard gasoline engines
- Include a gasoline back-up and can handle daily commutes and longer trips.
Stay Plugged In
- Follow us on Facebook for plug-in electric vehicle news, updates, and events.
- Telephone: 512-494-9400
- Email: Plug-In Austin
- Activate your Plug-In Everywhere membership
- See why our customers like driving EVs
- Earn a rebate when you install a charging station at home
- Learn more about the new EV360℠ Residential Time-of-Use rate