City of Austin Utilities warns against phone scammers
August 2, 2018
A number of City of Austin commercial utility customers, primarily restaurants, have reported receiving a phone call from someone claiming to be from City of Austin Utilities or Austin Energy, demanding payment of their utility bill within an hour, or power will be shut off. The calls come from a 1-866 number and the scammer asks for a credit card, gift card or bank account information over the phone to complete a payment and avoid utility shut off.
Austin Energy manages the City of Austin utility billing for water, electricity and other services.
Four things to know about your City of Austin utility bill:
- The City of Austin Utilities Customer Contact Center does not call customers with cut-off deadlines.
- We will never ask for credit card or wire transfer information over the phone.
- City of Austin Utilities accepts mail-in or walk-in payments or payments online.
- If a City of Austin customer receives a phone call threatening to interrupt service, demand immediate payment, or request credit card or bank account information, hang up and dial 3-1-1 or 512-974-2000 and report the incident immediately.
Customers can make payments at the city’s two walk-in service centers or the following authorized locations: most Austin Austin H-E-B stores, ACE Cash Express, Money Box, Fiesta Mart and Randall’s.
City of Austin walk-in service centers:
- Utility Service Center (east branch)Rosewood-Zaragosa Center, 2800 Webberville Road, Suite 110, Austin, Texas 78702
- Utility Customer Service Center (north branch), 8716 Research Blvd, Suite 115, Austin, Texas 78758 (near Ohlen Road and Highway 183)
Staff at authorized locations will ask to see the customer’s utility bill statement before accepting payment.
City of Austin utility customers who wish to make a utility bill payment by credit card can do so online at www.coautilities.com or by calling 800-959-7063, which connects the customer to the City of Austin’s automated utilities payment service (Bill Matrix) to make a payment via credit or debit card or electronic check. City of Austin customer service representatives may give customers this web address or phone number but will NOT ask for a customer’s credit card number to accept payment.
In addition, anyone who has received such a call and is uncertain of his or her account status can call the City of Austin Utilities Customer Contact Center at 512-494-9400.
Click here for more information on how to avoid phone scams.