Independent EV Charging Station Rebate
Multifamily Property Owners Can Save on Installations
Independently manage the energy pricing of EV charging stations at your multifamily property.
How to Apply
Find a contractor
Rebates Available for Installing EV Charging Stations
Commercial and multifamily account holders or their authorized representative are eligible for Independent EV Charging Station Rebates for new electric vehicle charging stations that are ETL/cETL/UL certified.
This program is different than the Plug-In Austin EV Charging Station rebate in which Austin Energy partners with station owner to manage charging stations.
The Independent EV Charging Station Rebate is best for station owners who wish to manage their own charging stations.
- Independent station owners can set their own energy pricing and can choose to run their stations on their own or partner with other third-party networks.
- Independent station owners pay for all third-party network fees incurred.
- Independent station owners can also elect to install non-communicating station(s) and/or set no energy pricing.
The Independent EV Station Rebate may be the best choice for some EV charging scenarios such as fleet and multifamily. The Independent Rebate conditions include participation in future Austin Energy charge management programs for a three-year term.
Independent Charging Station Rebate
Independent level 2 and DC fast charging stations are eligible for a rebate up to $1,500 per OCPP (Open Charge Point Protocol) compliant charging station and $1,200 per charging station that does not comply with OCPP. Rebate amount is based on whichever is less, either the maximum rebate amount or 50% of total equipment and installation costs.
The Open Charge Point Protocol (OCPP) is a communication standard for EV charging stations that allows charge management programs.
See list of OCPP compliant stations as of April 2023 (pdf)
If a charging station is OCPP compliant but not listed, please email Plug-In Austin to have the station added to the OCPP compliant list.
Up to six level 2 (240V) and DC fast (480V, 50 kW or more) charging stations can be rebated per address, per fiscal
year. Banks of level 1 charging stations and 120V outlets are eligible for a rebate up to $700 per address, per
fiscal year with a minimum requirement of four outlets per site.
Commercial and multifamily Austin Energy electric account holders and authorized representatives are eligible for Independent EV Charging Station rebates. Authorized representatives include an electric account holder at an alternate address, a parent corporation of account holder, a property manager or owner, or a tenant.
Charging stations must be new and ETL/cETL/UL listed.
Up to six Level 2 and DC Fast charging stations can be rebated per address, per fiscal year. Banks of Level 1 charging stations and 120V outlets are eligible for one rebate per address, per year.
A rebate application and documentation of costs must be submitted within 180 days of charging station installation or, if in the City of Austin, within 180 days of passing permit inspection. After submission, applicant has 60 days to provide required documentation or application will be voided.
Independent EV Station Rebate Requirements Checklist
- Must be an Austin Energy commercial or multifamily customer
- One application per address, per fiscal year (Oct-Sept)
- Hardware must be new and ETL/cETL/UL listed
- Installations within the City of Austin must pass an inspection from the City of Austin
- Installations must follow latest version of the National Electric Code
- Station(s) must be installed by licensed electrician
- Application for rebate and documentation of costs must be submitted within 180 days of charging station installation or, if in the City of Austin, passed permit inspection
- For banks of 120V outlets, outlets must be visibly labeled and dedicated as electric vehicle charging. Each
outlet must be accessible to each parking space (for example, four outlets must serve four parking spaces).
Find an Electrician
You must use a licensed electrician to qualify for this offering. You may refer to the list of contractors listed under Find a Contractor, or you may use any licensed electrician.
Install Charging Station(s)
Install charging station(s) and/or bank of outlets per program requirements and pass final permit inspection (if in City limits).
Apply for Your Rebate Online
Please make sure you have everything you need before starting. The following information is required for your online rebate application:
- Active Austin Energy electric customer account number
- Charging station manufacturer/ model
- Charging station serial number, if applicable
- An itemized installation and charging station invoice that is clearly marked paid-in-full and/or reflects a zero balance due
- Electrician name and web address
- Permit number (if installed within the City of Austin)
You can apply for your rebate online after your charging station installations are complete.
Use the confirmation (enrollment) and utility account numbers to check the status of your rebate application.
Tips for Applying Online
- If you choose to submit the online rebate application, you will need to have all required information on hand before you start.
- You will need to complete and submit the application in a single session. You cannot save your information and start again later. Active sessions time out after one hour of inactivity.
- You will need to scan or photograph documents and upload into the application system. The system will accept any of the following file formats:
- Adobe Acrobat PDF (.pdf)
- Microsoft Word Document (.doc or .docx)
- JPEG (.jpg)
- ZIP (.zip)
- Check your rebate status online using the confirmation (enrollment) number you receive after the application submission. You will also need your City of Austin utility account number.
Call us at 512-494-9400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about your rebate status or need help with your rebate application.
Find an Electrician
You must use a licensed electrician to qualify for this offering. As with any service for your home, we recommend that you check references and get at least three different estimates.
The Charging Station Installers listed below includes companies that have identified themselves as having residential and/or commercial electric vehicle charging station installation experience. If you have experience installing charging stations, are a licensed electrician, and would like your company on this list, please email Plug-In Austin.
Charging Station Installers must comply with all program requirements and conduct business in an honest, professional, and ethical manner. All qualified Charging Station Installers must abide by the Austin Energy Code of Conduct and Ethical Requirements (pdf).
The selection of a participating contractor to perform work is the sole decision of the property owner and/or authorized lessee/occupant. Inclusion in this directory does not represent an endorsement by Austin Energy of any product, individual, or company. No work is guaranteed or warranty expressed or implied, and Austin Energy makes no guarantees as to the quality, cost, or effectiveness of the products provided and work performed by the contractor, employees, or subcontractors.
Stay Plugged In
- Follow us on Facebook for plug-in electric vehicle news, StEVie the EV-loving T-Rex℠ sightings, and events
- Telephone: 512-494-9400
- Email: Plug-In Austin
- Activate your Plug-In EVerywhere membership
Funding is limited and available only to Austin Energy customers on a first-come, first-served basis. Offerings
are subject to change without notice.
Rebates are not guaranteed until after Austin Energy's review and approval of the rebate application. Program guidelines include additional requirements and limitations for receiving the above rebate. Contact us for more details.