ECAD for Residential Homes
Information for Home Sellers, Buyers, and Real Estate Professionals
What is the ECAD Ordinance?
For residential properties with four or fewer dwellings, the Energy Conservation Audit and Disclosure (ECAD) ordinance (pdf) requires home sellers to disclose comprehensive home energy efficiency details to buyers during a real estate transaction.
The ECAD ordinance applies to homes:
- Within the Austin Energy service area
- Within the Austin city limits
- 10 years old or older
Condominiums with one to four units follow ECAD rules for residential properties. Condominiums with five or more units follow the rules for ECAD multifamily properties.
Who Does the ECAD Ordinance Apply To?
The ECAD ordinance applies if you are:
Selling or buying a home? Check your property's current ECAD status
If You Are Selling a Home
When you sell your home you can comply with the ECAD ordinance with one of the following options:
Option 1: Schedule an energy audit with a qualified ECAD Energy Professional
Option 2: Participate in a qualifying energy efficiency program.
- Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® — A whole-home energy efficiency program.
- Residential Rebates and Incentives — When you make three or more energy efficiency improvements or receive a minimum of $500 in residential energy efficiency upgrade rebates. (Excludes Austin Water conservation, Austin Resource Recovery, solar installation, and other City of Austin rebates.)
- Weatherization Assistance — Free home energy improvements available for eligible customers.
If You Are Buying a Home
Not all homes require an ECAD home energy audit.
If you are buying a home where an ECAD home energy audit is required, Austin Energy recommends asking your real estate agent for one of the following prior to closing:
- A copy of the home’s ECAD audit results or
- Proof of participation in a qualifying Austin Energy program
There are no other requirements for the buyer. Use ECAD audit results and Austin Energy’s incentives for future energy-efficiency improvements to your new home.
If You Are a Real Estate Professional
Help your clients ensure ECAD compliance during real estate transactions. Austin Energy is an Austin Board of REALTORS® affiliate.
Please email ECAD or call 512-482-5346 if you have any questions or need additional information about the ECAD ordinance.