Electric Service Design & Planning
Criteria for Building and Trade Professionals Who Design or Install Electric Facilities
If you design electrical facilities in the Austin Energy service area, follow our criteria and guidelines to ensure your facilities are built properly.
Electrical Service Planning Applications (ESPAs)
You must submit this application to obtain a permit. It is also used by the design team to determine your power requirements.
Austin Energy Design Criteria Manual
The Austin Energy Design Criteria Manual provides criteria, guidelines, definitions, and descriptions for the design and installation of electric facilities that will be served by Austin Energy.
You can download the online version of the Austin Energy Design Criteria manual for free.
We make every effort to be accurate in the online design criteria manual. In case of conflict, the official manual on file with the Austin City Clerk's office takes precedence.
Design & Construction Process Diagram for Austin Energy Infrastructure
Please refer to our one-line diagram that depicts the general path to obtain electric power to a site or to relocate or remove Austin Energy electrical infrastructure.
Distribution Interconnection Guide
This guide outlines the process for connecting a distributed generation facility. It also defines the minimum technical and financial requirements for safe integration of customer-owned power production facilities with the Austin Energy Distribution System.
- Download the Distribution Interconnection Guide (pdf)
- Download the Distributed Generation Planning Application (DGPA) (pdf)
Inspections for Solar Installations
Solar systems that are interconnected to the distribution system and in the Austin Energy service area require a passing inspection from Austin Energy before they can be turned on. Our inspectors are also available for on-site consultation prior to solar installation.
Are you a solar installer? Request a solar installation inspection
For underground service, the customer must perform all the civil work for the Austin Energy facilities installed on the customer’s property. 100% of the estimated cost is paid by the requesting party; civil work is completed by the customer.
Austin Energy Affordable Housing Policy
A waiver shall be applied such that the percent discount off of the cost to provide service to a residential development is equal to the percent of affordable housing (%CIAC Discount = %Affordable Housing), with the percentage of affordable housing being as stated on the City of Austin SMART Housing Certification.
CIAC Meter & Service Wire Charges
For residential services where an Austin Energy design is not required, One-Stop will charge the following:
- Residential overhead service with standard 200 amp meter, up to 75 feet of service wire = $400.
- Residential overhead service with standard 320 amp meter, up to 55 feet of service wire = $400.
- Residential underground service with standard 200 amp meter, up to 150 feet of service wire = $800.
- Residential underground service with standard 320 amp meter, up to 150 feet of service wire = $1600.
- Standard single phase meter (up to 320 amps) where service wire is provided by customer or was included in an Austin Energy Design = $200.
- Standard three phase meter where service wire is provided by customer or was included in an Austin Energy Design = $300.
- Specialty metering equipment will be subject to actual cost.
- Affordable Housing receives percent discount based on SMART Housing Certification.
For projects where an Austin Energy Design is required, Austin Energy's meter and service wire charges will be included in the total line extension cost.
If you have questions about our design criteria, purchasing specifications, or construction standards, contact one of our offices of Distribution Engineering listed below.
AE Distribution Standards
Email: AE Distribution Standards
AE Design South - St. Elmo Service Center
4411-B Meinardus Drive (South of 969/MLK/Windsor Rd.)
AE Design North - Kramer Lane Service Center
2412 Kramer Lane, Bldg. C (North of 969/MLK/Windsor Rd.)
AE Network Design - Downtown
4411-B Meinardus Drive
If you are unsure which Design office to contact, view the Austin Energy Service Territory Map (pdf) to determine which office supports your service area.
For payment assistance with the AB+C portal, please visit City of Austin Contractor and Trade Permits.
Have Feedback for the Distribution Design Team? Complete our Distribution Design Customer Survey