Customer Assistance Programs (CAP): Utility Bill Discounts

City of Austin Official Seal

Customers on low or fixed incomes who participate in certain state, federal, or local assistance programs can benefit from the City of Austin's CAP utility bill discounts program.

Here are answers to common questions about City of Austin Customer Assistance discounts.

If you have additional questions, call Customer Care at 512-494-9400 to speak to a representative.

How do I apply?

Call 855-319-6630 to request an application be mailed for the City of Austin CAP Discount program. Once you receive the application, please follow these steps:

  1. Fill out the application.
  2. Make a copy of the document that qualifies your household for the discount. (See application for qualifying documents.)
  3. Seal the envelope with the application and qualifying document inside.
  4. Drop in mail. (No postage necessary.)

You can also print out the CAP Discount program application and follow these steps:

  1. Fill out the application.
  2. Make a copy of the document that qualifies your household for the discount. (See application for qualifying documents.)
  3. Fax application and document to 855-319-6629 or mail to:

City of Austin - Customer Care Contact Center - Customer Assistance Programs
PO Box 848
Killeen, Texas 76540-9915

Who qualifies?

You qualify for discounts if you or someone in your household currently participates in any one of these programs:

  • All Medicaid types
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  • Telephone Lifeline Program
  • Travis County Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program (CEAP)
  • Medical Access Program (MAP)
  • Veterans Assistance Supportive Housing (VASH)
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

You may also be eligible for the program if your household income is less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Level:

2019 Federal Poverty Guidelines
Persons in Household 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Total Annual Income $24,980 $33,820 $42,660 $51,500 $60,340 $69,180 $78,020 $86,860


Please call 855-319-6630 with any questions you may have about eligibility.

What are the qualifying documents?

To qualify, you must submit one of the following documents:

  • Medicaid Notice of Case Action Letter from Texas Department of Health & Human Services
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Notice of Case Action Letter from Texas Department of Health and Human Services (also known as Food Stamps)
  • Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Confirmation Enrollment Letter from Texas Department of Health and Human Services
  • Telephone Lifeline Program Enrollment Letter or Phone Bill Reflecting Lifeline Enrollment
  • Travis County Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) Notice of Payment Letter
  • Medical Access Program (MAP) Clinic Card
  • VASH award letter
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Award Letter

Where can I get the qualifying documents?

You can request the Medicaid, SNAP, and CHIP qualifying documents by calling 2-1-1. This is a hotline provided by the Texas Health and Human Services Commission. When you dial 2-1-1, select a language, then choose Option 2 for information on state benefits including Medicaid, SNAP, and CHIP.

There are several companies that participate in the Telephone Lifeline Program, so you should call your telephone provider to get proof of enrollment. The CEAP documentation can be obtained from your Travis County case worker.

You can call 512-978-8130 to get a new copy of your MAP card.

You can contact your VASH Case Manager to help you with the documentation requirement.

You can request the SSI award letter by calling 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or by contacting your local Social Security office.

Why can’t you accept my Medicaid ID card, Lone Star card, or CHIP card?

In order to qualify for the discount program we need to verify the address and current enrollment in one of the benefits programs. This information is not found on the Medicaid, Lone Star, or CHIP cards. In addition, anyone living at the utility service address can qualify the household for CAP Discounts and thus may not be listed on the utility account. The enrollment letters for Medicaid, SNAP, and CHIP allow us to verify all the necessary information such as address and current enrollment.

How can I apply for the benefit programs?

You can call 2-1-1 to apply for Medicaid or SNAP. You can also enroll online using the Texas Department of Health and Human Services website.

To apply for CHIP, call 1-877-543-7669 or apply online on the Children's Medicaid website.

You can apply for Lifeline Texas discounts by calling toll free 1-866-454-8387 or by downloading the application from the Public Utility Commission of Texas website.

You can contact your local Travis County Health and Human Services Department office to apply for CEAP. Call 2-1-1 to find the nearest office.

You can call 512-978-8130 to discuss eligibility for the Medical Access Program.

You can apply for SSI by contacting Social Security for an appointment. To make an appointment, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or contact your local Social Security office. You can also fill out the online disability report from the Social Security website to get the process started.

What discounts will I get? How much will my discount be?

The Customer Assistance Discount Program offers about $54 in monthly discounts off your utility bill depending on what utility services you have through the City of Austin.

Discounts available:

  • Electric Service Customer Charge waiver
  • Discount on your total electrical usage
  • Discount on your Community Benefit Charges
  • Water Service Customer Charge waiver
  • Water Tiered Fixed Charge waiver
  • Water Volume Charge discount
  • Discount on your Water Community Benefit Charge
  • Wastewater Service Customer Charge waiver
  • Wastewater Volume Charge Discount
  • Discount on your Waste Water Community Benefit Charge
  • Drainage Fee 50% discount
  • Transportation User Fee waiver (The Transportation User Fee waiver is available to those City of Austin utility account holders who do not own or drive a vehicle, or who are at least 65.)

Where do I find the discounts on my utility bill?

Discounts can be found under each utility service in the line items as “Cust Assist Program Cust Charge Discount,” “Cust Assist Prog. Credit,” or “Cust Assist Program Bill Discount.”

Depending on what utilities you have through the City of Austin, you will find three discounts under Electric, four discounts under Water, three discounts under Wastewater, and one discount under Drainage.

Who decides what the qualifying programs are?

City Council determines the qualifiers for the Customer Assistance Discount program.

Expand All
Date last reviewed or modified: 1/31/20

Customer Services
Disability Assistance

Relay Texas: 7-1-1
TDD: 512-477-3663 

Request Accommodations

Report Outages

Follow Us