Austin Energy Prepares for High Winds, Potential Severe Weather March 2-3
March 1, 2023
Severe weather with wind gusts of up to 50 mph is forecast for the Austin area from Thursday, March 2 through Friday, March 3. Trees may still be damaged from February’s ice storm, and these conditions could cause outages if limbs and branches connect with power lines. Austin Energy is preparing crews to respond to the potential weather and outages.
You can report outages at outagemap.austinenergy.com, by texting OUT to 287846 or by calling 512-322-9100.
Stay Safe Around Downed Power Lines
- Consider all wires energized and dangerous. Even de-energized lines may become energized at any time.
- Stay at least 35 feet away from downed lines.
- Never touch a downed power line or anything in contact with a power line.
- Never use any object to move a downed wire.
You can report a downed power line by calling 512-322-9100. Find more safety tips at austinenergy.com/outages/during-an-outage.
Power outages can happen for a variety of different reasons, severe weather being one of them. Here are ways you can be prepared, no matter the situation:
- Sign up for outage alerts at austinenergy.com/go/alerts.
- Assemble an emergency kit and store it in a convenient place.
- Charge your electronics and batteries.
Find additional preparation tips and other helpful resources at austinenergy.com/go/prepare.