On October 9, 2014, Austin Energy presented Austin City Council with an update to the Austin Energy Resource, Generation and Climate Protection Plan to 2020 (pdf).
Based on a yearlong study, staff is recommending the “500+ Plan” that would have Austin Energy achieve 50% renewable generation resources and 75% carbon-free production by 2025. This plan includes the following:
- Adding 500 MW of solar, 375 MW of wind, and 500 MW of Natural Gas from a Combined Cycle power plant to Austin Energy’s generation portfolio
- Reducing power plant carbon dioxide emissions 20% below 2005 levels by 2020
- Achieving 800 MW of additional peak demand savings through energy efficiency and demand-side management by 2020
- Keeping rates in the lower half of the Texas retail market and ensuring annual rate changes do not exceed 2%
The Updated Resource, Generation and Climate Protection Plan to 2025
The Resource, Generation and Climate Protection Plan is a road map that is intended to be flexible and dynamic allowing it to reflect changing circumstances. The most recent update was approved by the Austin City Council on December 11, 2014. The Plan is updated every other year, taking into account customer input and a broad range of factors. Austin Energy and the Plan will strive to adhere to the affordability goal for rates and services for all classes of customers as approved by the City Council.
Our Current Power Generation Mix
The pie charts below show the percentages of renewable and non-renewable power being generated right now, in real time. All power produced is sold to the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT). As of July 2014, Austin Energy's generation mix was at 23% renewable energy.
Much of the renewable energy produced is dependent upon the amount of available wind and sunshine, so the output varies from day to day and hour to hour. Refresh your browser periodically to see the most current percentages.
Note: The solar power generation indicated above does not include solar electric readings from our residential and commercial customers.
As part of the generation update, Austin Energy conducted stakeholder input meetings to engage key customers and members of the community.
These meetings were a way to gather community input to help Austin Energy prioritize the resource scenarios the utility should assess to update the plan for achieving the Council’s goals. Two stakeholder input meetings were held Tuesday, Feb. 25 and one was held Thursday, Feb. 27. The results of the stakeholder input meetings were presented at the March 17 meeting of the Electric Utility Commission.
Generation Resource Planning Task Force
Subsequent to the stakeholder meetings held by Austin Energy, the City Council appointed the Generation Resource Planning Task Force to examine and make recommendations regarding the Generation Plan to 2024, consistent with meeting or exceeding the goals established in the Generation Plan to 2020.
The Task Force issued its report July 9, 2014.
- Read the Report of the Austin Generation Planning Task Force (pdf)
- Read Austin Energy's Initial Response to the Generation Task Force Report August 22, 2014 (pdf)
- Read Austin Energy's Presentation to Council on Resolution 157 (pdf)
Timeline for Resource Plan Update
- 1st Quarter 2014 – Targeted briefings and stakeholder input meetings
- 1st Quarter 2014 – Select scenarios to study
- 2nd Quarter 2014 – Receive input on scenarios from the Generation Resource Planning Task Force
- 3rd Quarter 2014 – Run and analyze scenario results
- 3rd Quarter 2014 – Present preliminary recommendations to Council Committee on Austin Energy
- 3rd Quarter 2014 – Council Committee on Austin Energy and Electric Utility Commission review/approval
- 3rd Quarter 2014 – Present final resource plan update to Austin City Council
- Task Force Schedule and Materials
- Mar. 17, 2014 Public Participation Update to EUC and RMC (pdf)
- Mar. 17, 2014 Stakeholder Q&A (pdf)
- Mar. 17, 2014 Survey Summary Report (pdf)
- Mar. 10, 2014 Online Feedback (pdf)
- Feb. 25 and 27, 2014 Stakeholder Input Meeting Presentation (pdf)
- Feb. 25, 2014 Video of 6 p.m. Stakeholder Input Meeting
Austin City Council Presentations
- October 9, 2014 Presentation to City Council Committee on Austin Energy on 500+ Plan (pdf)
- Sept. 24, 2014 Presentation to City Council Committee on Austin Energy on Resolution 157 (pdf)
- Feb. 4, 2014 Presentation to City Council Committee on Austin Energy – FPP Options (pdf)
- Dec. 5, 2013 Presentation to City Council Committee on Austin Energy (pdf)