In 2014, Austin Energy will update the Austin Energy Resource, Generation and Climate Protection Plan to 2020 (pdf) and will present the updated plan to the Austin City Council before the end of the year.
The plan outlines Austin Energy’s strategies for meeting Austin City Council goals. Strategies include:
- Achieving 35% renewable generation resources by 2020, including 200 MW solar with 100 MW installed locally
- Reducing power plant carbon dioxide emissions 20% below 2005 levels by 2020
- Achieving additional 800 MW of peak demand savings through energy efficiency and demand-side management by 2020
- Keeping rates in the lower half of the Texas retail market and ensuring annual rate changes do not exceed 2%
Austin Energy is analyzing dozens of generation resource scenarios that meet these goals.
As part of the generation update, Austin Energy conducted stakeholder input meetings to engage key customers and members of the community.
The objective of these meetings was to gather community input to help us prioritize the resource scenarios we should assess as we update our plan for achieving the Council’s goals. Two stakeholder input meetings were held Tuesday, Feb. 25 and one was held Thursday, Feb. 27. The results of the stakeholder input meetings were presented at the March 17, 2014 meeting of the Electric Utility Commission.
Generation Resource Planning Task Force
Subsequent to the stakeholder meetings held by Austin Energy, the City Council appointed the Generation Resource Planning Task Force to examine and make recommendations regarding the Generation Plan to 2024, consistent with meeting or exceeding the goals established in the Generation Plan to 2020.
The Task Force issued its report July 9, 2014. Read the Draft Report of the Austin Generation Planning Task Force (pdf).
Estimated Timeline for Resource Plan Update
- 1st Quarter 2014 – Targeted briefings and stakeholder input meetings
- 1st Quarter 2014 – Select scenarios to study
- 2nd Quarter 2014 – Receive input on scenarios from the Generation Resource Planning Task Force
- 3rd Quarter 2014 – Run and analyze scenario results
- 3rd Quarter 2014 – Present preliminary recommendations to Council Committee on Austin Energy
- 3rd Quarter 2014 – Council Committee on Austin Energy and Electric Utility Commission review/approval
- 3rd Quarter 2014 – Present final resource plan update to Austin City Council
The estimated timeline is subject to change.
Do you have a generation resource scenario you would like to share? Please send us your comments and suggestions.
- Task Force Schedule and Materials
- Mar. 17, 2014 Public Participation Update to EUC and RMC (pdf)
- Mar. 17, 2014 Stakeholder Q&A (pdf)
- Mar. 17, 2014 Survey Summary Report (pdf)
- Mar. 10, 2014 Online Feedback (pdf)
- Feb. 25 and 27, 2014 Stakeholder Input Meeting Presentation (pdf)
- Feb. 25, 2014 Video of 6 p.m. Stakeholder Input Meeting
Austin City Council Presentations
- Feb. 4, 2014 Presentation to City Council Committee on Austin Energy – FPP Options (pdf)
- Dec. 5, 2013 Presentation to City Council Committee on Austin Energy (pdf)